Monday 26 November 2012

Newspaper poster research

Through my research I have found that different newspaper use different ways in attracting audiences through advert posters. For example, Metro, target working class audiences in full time work, whilst The Times focus on middle class professionals.
For my poster I will be aiming to attract audiences within Portishead, mostly 16-50 year olds which are both working and middle class. This is mainly because Portishead is a mixture of different classes and I would like to try to hook majority of them. However I have decided this age of 16-50 years because I think this is the popular age that will be interested in reading my newspaper as I write about quite up to date news and give information which they can relate themselves to, for example "Teens In Mud Rescue Drama" can attract a young audience as they'll want to get the latest gossip but also parents inform the readers about their experience of the situation. This would apply to parent readers and their teenage children. I think my that my newspaper would be best suited for an audience which is not in full time work, perhaps still learning at college and learning to drive as I use adverts that would hook readers which are or thinking about driving. My audience would also have to be quite interested in health and fitness as a story in my newspaper is based on a women who became fit through working hard at the gym, and one of my adverts are about getting classes for a good price.
For my poster I think that I will adopt a similar idea as Metro because I believe this is the newspaper which is most like mine and has more of the layout in which I think will attract my target audience. However I do prefer the colour scheme on The Times newspaper because I think it is very vibrant and is very prominent over all the other newspaper posters as it has such a stark colour contrast, from a black background to a bright blue and red. I think that I will have to do a similar colour scheme to keep my readers engaged in the poster. Similar to The Times I am going to be advertising a product that the readers can get for free, this will lead the audiences to buy my newspaper as they will be interested in getting their hands on the free product that comes with it.
For my advertising I think I will use something like a booklet or a magazine which targets the same audience as my newspaper does. Perhaps a small magazine on new social locations in Portishead or on health and fitness as this will apply to the readers which don't have a full time job or the majority which are interested in keeping or getting fit.
If I was to do a poster on advertising new restaurants and pubs in Portishead I think that I wouldn't attract as many readers as doing a fitness magazine as the readers can find information on new locations in Portishead on free websites and in other newspapers, but if I do it on a guide fitness and healthy eating more readers will be interested as it is usually hard to find all the information you want on this subject on one website or one newspaper.
On my newspaper poster I will be promoting a magazine on health and fitness. It will be a free magazine which comes with the newspaper when bought. In my magazine their will be a large range of different exercises, information on how to keep fit, whats best to eat and what isn't. I will name my free magazine "Major Health and Fitness" as I think this is simple and not gender based as most fitness magazines aim at a specific gender.
As my poster will be advertising a fitness magazine, I do not think that using a black background will project movement. So I have thought about using a background similar to that of The Star, having a light background, for example a white or grey then using vibrant colours for my images like The Times.
I will also incorporate the same colour I use throughout my newspaper, the light purple/blue which I use for my dateline as i think this will help audiences to associate my poster with my newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment