Tuesday 4 September 2012

Inside Page Idea

The two newspaper inside covers where hard to find so I ended up buying a local papers and using them. However I did not use the same newspapers as of my cover research. The two inside pages I studied where The Times and Mercury, both local Portishead papers.

The Mercury is the standard layout for a second page, but The Times is full of announcements and advertising which is not conventional for a inside page. As you can see by my past research into these inside pages, they're are both very different, this is the may reason why I decided to annotate them, so that I could get a full idea of how you can present it, other then just having it full of stories or as the contents page.

For my inside page I would like to the adopt a similar layout to that of Mercury, by keeping it conventional, having a main story inside. I will also have a small byline for announcements, mirroring The Times, for local families, wishing to say "Happy Birthday" or respecting the loss of a loved one. This helps the newspaper tab into the local community and will evoke sympathy and compassion for the families. It also suggests that my newspaper cares about its citizens which will conclude to the readers purchasing my newspaper because they want to be part of the caring community, some readers might also just buy the newspaper because their family announcement is in there or someone they know maybe. Also this is another way in which the newspaper can gain profit, as people have to pay to have their announcements put in.
Through writing this post I have thought of putting one of the bylines as the contents so that readers know which page to go to for the latest news, instead of flicking through until they find what is on the font cover or what interests them. As I researched I also discovered that the Mercury have a advert banner, similar to that on the Evening Posts front cover. I am not too certain whether I will mirror this layout as I have already used a advert banner for my front cover and I don't want to be too repetitive as it will get boring to my readers and result in a lack of sales because of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment