Tuesday 4 September 2012

What adverts should I do?

In my research into adverts on a newspaper front cover, I found that they usually promote large companies which are in some cases, are in the area in which the newspaper is sold but also companies which are seen nationally.


As you can see the image on the right is a layout for my future newspaper. I have come up with having my advert as a banner, along the bottom of my newspaper, this is similar to that of the Evening Post, however it has it's advert banner along the top, above the masthead. By making my adverts more discreet I think this will re-ensure that all attention is upon the news on my front cover, rather then adverts.




In my research I have also found that the adverts on the front cover are usually in the readers interests rather then the companies though of gaining profits. They use bargains to appeal to the customers, this could also attract readers as this maybe the main reason they purchase the newspaper, to get the deals.
This is shown in my research of the Evening Post, which is the image to the left. In this advert they are publicising the deal of getting "2 for 1" whilst eating out at a specific restaurant, which suggests that there is more advantage for the customer as they are getting money off a meal, which will now be half price. In a previous post I have gone more in to detail about this advert.

These are two other adverts by the Evening Post, similar to the advert above, they both are in the customers favour. However these two do have a slight contrast as they are "Win" adverts, which mean that the customer who buys the newspaper is in chance of getting s free PS3 or McFly guitar, this could also cause readers to buy the newspaper simply because of their chance in winning something expensive and getting it for free. This also tells us what the Evening Posts target audience could be, because they are promoting PS3 purchases, this suggests that the readers are top gamers which want the newest gadgets to play their games on. The audience could also be great music fans, or listen to chart hits because of the free gaining of a fresh guitar, held by one of the members of the band. A long with that, one of the adverts is promoting two, the free guitar and "2 for 1" eating which is a great plug for the newspaper and will get audiences purchasing it.

Through my research into newspaper adverts I have decided to use a banner and to have mine as a bargain advert. Preferable for a new, local shop in Portishead,such as Waitrose or Lidl as they have newly opened over the years I think this will give me leverage over my competitors as readers will be interested in exploring the new shops. Also as these are grocery shops, this will give the customers more means to buy the newspaper as most families go on a weekly food shop and will be able to use the deal. I think that my advert will be for £20 off when shopping in Waitrose as I believe this will target my audience and will look right within my newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment