Monday 3 September 2012

What About Other Texts!?

I have chose a font for my masthead but still haven't chose any for my headlines, bylines or stories. For my headlines I wont be using Serif but will make it so that it is the same size as my masthead or slightly smaller to show that it is as important as the masthead and to keep it matching the headline, striking. In contrast, I will make my bylines a lot smaller then the headline and masthead as these will be stories which are less interesting and appealing to the readers. For my stories I am considering keeping them the same font as their headlings, as my research shows that on the font cover of a newspaper they usually only use two or three different fonts, including the masthead.
To start I must return back to Dafont to find my ideal fonts for my newspaper!

As I said before I don't want to use Serif for the rest of my newspaper, so instead of going to the "Basic" category then "Serif" I will go to "Sans Serif".
Coincidentally for my headline I came across a font which was called "Headline". However once taking more time to look at it I decided that I wasn't interested in this font as I felt as though each letter was squished together and stretched. I'd prefer to find a font for my headline which is more spacious and lengthened out.
I next came across a font name "American Purpose" which was underneath the "Headline" font. Immediately I was drawn to this font because it reminded me of the fonts used for headlines in other newspapers I had researched. Below is an example of the font I am hoping to use for my headline.




In my research of newspaper front cover headlines, I have found that they all look similar.

Evening Post                                                                                                            Chronicle     
                                                                                 











Daily Post









Through this I have realised that the headlines are quite bland and straight forward. That their only purpose is to deliver the biggest news, not to look different or interesting, just basic. This is why I think the font American Purpose is an ideal font, as it has nothing outstanding but is still practical. 

On the left is a picture of my potential headline for my newspaper front cover, in the font I have chose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment